Setting the OLED display on the latest Zeiss Batis lenses is literally one of the easiest but most unintuitive camera operation you’ll likely come across. The lens is a testament to clean minimalistic design, but without any buttons to press, how do you change the display settings?
Here is a quick and dirty 2-step instructions on adjusting the OLED display.
- Set to Manual Focus mode.
- Keep twisting left (clockwise).
That’s it. If you need more detailed instructions. Keep reading below.
Step 1: Set the Camera to Manual Focus Mode
- Hit the (Fn) button on the back of your A7 series camera.
- Toggle to “Focus Mode”
- Select Manual Focus.
Step 2: Keep Twisting Left
- With the camera on manual focus mode, keep twisting left.
- It will take quite a few turns to reach the OLED settings menu.
- This is the OLED settings menu. Once you reach it, don’t twist right or hit any buttons on the camera on the focus ring. Otherwise, you’ll exit the menu.
- There are three options: (1) ON, (2) MF, and (3) OFF.
- To switch between the three, keep twisting left. Yes, it is counterintuitive.
- “ON” mode leaves the display on as long as the camera is on.
- “MF” mode only powers the display if you are in Manual Focus (MF) or Dynamic Manual Focus (DMF) mode. In AF mode, the display is off. I suppose this saves battery but I can’t imagine the display drawing much power at all. I’d just leave it on.
- “OFF” means off.
If you’d like, there is a 2 min 31 second video from Zeiss with some euro-synth techno showing you exactly how to do it.